Monday, January 30, 2012

OpenCourseWare App

I've had a great time today browsing through the OpenCourseWare app which I found under the Education category for the Boxee Box's apps. I'm currently following a course on Financial Markets by Yale professor Robert Shiller.

I did some google searches to figure out where the app is drawing its content from. The Boxee app draws on course lectures from 5 universities (Yale, Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA and MIT), but there are projects on the internet, such as the OCW Consortium, that have much broader collections. In fact, there are many more collections and offerings. Could the app be changed to take suggestions? Who actually programs these apps? Is it independent programmers or Boxee programmers? If it is the latter, then I'd be worried that they'd find it hard to keep up with interests. They'd be better off following the wikipedia model of independent creators.

No comments:

Post a Comment